Woman, child escape fire

Mon, 01/25/2010 - 4:55pm
By: John Munford

A woman and child safely escaped their home in the Four Seasons mobile home community after it caught fire around 2 p.m. today, officials said.

A neighbor spotted the flames and alerted the woman by knocking on the door of the Dolphin Drive home, officials said.

The fire was caused by a bag of ashes from a fireplace that caught ablaze on the porch of the residence, officials said.

Ashes from a fireplace or wood burning stove should be extinguished in a metal container of water because they can remain hot enough to re-ignite for two or three days after the fire, officials said.

The ashes may have re-ignited due to wind in the area, officials said.

The fire also damaged an adjacent residence which had melted siding, officials said.

login to post comments