Outrage: $9.9 million PTC bond vote to benefit 1 man

Tue, 09/30/2008 - 3:22pm
By: Letters to the ...

As a resident of Peachtree City, I am outraged that the mayor and City Council would support the use of city property and raise taxes to pay for the construction of a facility that would benefit a local business man.

The additional taxes and all the risk of failure will fall on the shoulders of Peachtree City taxpayers. This is not a time for speculation, but a time to conserve.

The referendum on this year’s ballot with the wording, “Shall $9,950,000 in aggregate principal amount of Peachtree City General Obligation Recreational Facilities Bonds be issued,” is for the construction of Phase 1 of a multiphase project.

When all phases have been completed the project will consist of two ice rinks with spectator seating and a fitness center. The nearly $10 million will be used only for the construction of the Phase 1 building and the City Council has agreed to donate 22 acres of city property for the project which will be located on Ga. Highway 74 South.

If the referendum, approved by the mayor and all members of the council, passes, the impact to the city budget and taxpayers will be tremendous. Below are estimates presented by the city manager.

Additional budget operating cost

• Total operating cost of Phase 1 — $733,452

• Interest paid on $10 million bond — $798,414

The total additional cost to our budget will be a staggering $1,531,866.

This does not include the additional line item that will be added to our property taxes needed to pay back the bond. Property tax increase is estimated at $100 per average house per year.

Why are the mayor and council supporting such a project? At the City Council meeting on July 17, 2008, Dar Thompson and a room full of supporters spoke about how great this would be for Peachtree City residents. Dar’s deal is to operate the facility and pay the city rent at $436,200 annually. This amount does not even come to a third of the estimated expenses.

So there you have it. Taxpayers donate the land, pay for the building, and pay for two-thirds of the operating costs and Dar Thompson collects the profits. What a deal! Please vote No for No Deal.

Richard Spain

Peachtree City, Ga.

login to post comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Submitted by blogger7 on Wed, 10/08/2008 - 9:23am.

All the facts are posted on ptcsportsplex.com
Get the facts before you vote!

Fact of the day: PTC will continue to retain complete ownership of the land and buildings involved in the ice sports complex.

The city will get the benefit of property value increases.

For more of the truth…see ptcsportsplex.com

Submitted by rgspain on Thu, 10/09/2008 - 6:54pm.

It's a crazy idea that will never fly.

Submitted by dar thompson on Wed, 10/01/2008 - 1:04pm.

how did you get so confused? i am not involved in the ice rinks and other than my property value increasing because of this added ammenity, i gain nothing. your math is not even close to accurate, the cost to the tax payer is approx $26.00 a year pre-tax and only about $18.00 net after taxes. the cost of the fitness center is $0.00 to the tax-payers and the operating cost of the ice rink is paid for by the tennant. i would suggest you get the facts straight before you write something you seem to know nothing about.

apparently, you don't care about the kids in our community nor do you care about increased home values which benefit all of us. peachtree city is a special place and it needs to remain a special place. this ice complex will continue to enhance peachtree city, and everyone's quality of life.

Submitted by MYTMITE on Wed, 10/01/2008 - 4:28pm.

and you feel it would be so beneficial to our city, why don't you build it and donate it to the city? Please don't try to lay a guilt trip by saying anyone who opposes this does not care about the kids in our community nor care about increased home values. Peachtree City is a special place and will remain a special place with or without the ice complex. It has been done and failed in the past. Maybe an increase in your taxes is not a burden to you but with everything else being thrown at us, most of us do not need an increase for something we may end up paying for anyway down the road if it fails. Could you please tell me what chances you are taking in this venture? I cannot see any for you and all for the tax payer (and yes I know you are a tax payer also--but most of us will not reap a monetary reward as you will.)

Submitted by rgspain on Wed, 10/01/2008 - 1:52pm.

I will not comment on your insults Dar, but I will continue to let the facts be known.

You were at the July 17 Council meeting supporting a Referendum to be placed on the November ballot.

You made a presentation proclaiming the prosperity Peachtree City would gain if the Sports Complex were to be built.

You offered to pay up to $1,500 of the cost to have the Referendum on the Ballott.

The City Manager made a presentation on the estimated operating cost of facility.

The figures I used in my letter come straight off the City Manager’s spreadsheet of estimates; therefore, they are not my figures but the Cities. The figures you are using are limited to only the amount that will be charged to property taxes and do not include operating expenses.

I will not sling mud. I will only state facts and the facts say this Deal is no good for Peachtree City.

sniffles5's picture
Submitted by sniffles5 on Wed, 10/01/2008 - 1:19pm.