BoE’s Smith charges ‘slander’

Tue, 09/16/2008 - 4:31pm
By: Ben Nelms

BoE’s Smith charges ‘slander’

Smith, Smola line up against write-in candidate File on system’s school buses used for Great Georgia Airshow

Things are heating up between Fayette School Board Post 1 write-in candidate Nicole File and Post 1 board member Janet Smola.

The heat began Monday with an email from File to Smola over the use of school buses for the Great Georgia Airshow, continued with responses from Smola and board Chairman Terri Smith and ended, for the time being, with remarks at the Monday school board meeting by File and former Peachtree City Mayor Steve Brown.

File’s position on the buses came on the night the board approved the leasing of school buses for the upcoming air show.

File, in an email Monday, suggested that the board’s permitted use of school buses for the Great Georgia Airshow was not a use permitted by law. Both Smola and Smith disagreed in emails of their own.

In her email to Smola, File said, “I’m exceedingly fearful that the board will commit an illegal act by approving the use of taxpayer funded school buses for purposes not permitted by state law.”

File maintained that Georgia law does not allow school buses to be used for purposes such as the airshow, also noting Smola’s paid affiliation with the airshow.

“As I have been building positions for my write-in candidacy, I was horrified to find state law prohibits the use of school buses for any use other than providing transportation for students with the exception of, under specific circumstances, the elderly, persons with disabilities and 4-H activities,” File said. “My original concern on this issue dealt with researching a conflict of interest with a member of your board serving as a paid employee of the air show. Obviously, there should not be any members of the board doing business with or bringing forth agreements on behalf of an outside employer.”

It took less than two hours for Smola to register a response. In an email to File, Smola referenced an October 1995 opinion issued by Asst. Attorney General William Droze on the use of school buses during the Olympics. In essence, Droze said the lease of buses by community organizations or private recreational organizations is permitted.

“It’s always a shame when one doesn’t research their facts before casting aspersions. You will find the (Droze) ruling most helpful,” Smola fired back. “The Great Georgia Airshow will, and always has, paid all associated expenses for the use of school buses to the FCBOE. These include mileage charges, wear and tear charges, bus driver fees, and insurance fees. Each year the air show receives a substantial bill for these fees and has always paid them. The use of these buses to support this important community event, which by the way supported more than 16 school system organizations last year alone, began long before I ever became a contracted marketing consultant for the show and long before I ever became a school board member. I have never presented this request, nor have I ever voted on it.”

“It is apparent that your attempt to discredit this school system and my personal reputation are not only misguided but reprehensible and by your own admission politically motivated,” Smola continued.” I hope you find (the Droze opinion) informative and consider retracting your accusations.”

In what quickly escalated to a local war of words, Smith weighed in with her opinion in an email to File.

“I have read O.C.G.A. 20-2-1074, the code section to which you refer, and O.C.G.A. 20-2-411 which is referenced in the first section,” Smith said. “I can’t find any language that suggests that other uses are prohibited as long as they aren’t funded by taxpayer dollars. Taxpayer dollars are not used to provide services to the air show. We have voted on it every year that I can remember. Also, as an employee of the air show, Mrs. Smola has abstained on all votes regarding this use of school buses. Please be diligent in your research regarding the school system. False accusations of system employees and Board members aren’t in the best interest of the school system. Furthermore, by associating these accusations with Mrs. Smola’s employer, you may be treading in an area that could jeopardize her job. I’m no lawyer, but I’d consult with one if I were you before I slandered her and caused her to lose her job.”

All was quiet until the board meeting later Monday. File and Former Peachtree City Mayor Steve Brown were two from the audience to speak during the public comments portion of the meeting.

File reiterated her position on the use of school buses at the air show, citing Georgia Code 20-2-1074 and an Attorney General’s opinion 85-34 stating that a local school board may not allow community or private recreational organizations to use a school bus for purposes other than transporting students even if the group pays all the expenses. The exception, File said, was the transport of the elderly, 4-H or handicapped and only if the cost is fully reimbursed.

“Our Board of Education doesn’t need to be violating our state law and they shouldn’t do so tonight,” File said. “I believe this could be a situation where personal interests are getting in the way of the ethical and legal operations of our school system.”

Steve Brown in his comments said he agreed with File’s position, adding that he had always had concerns about Smola having a paid job at the air show and being on the school board. Brown said Terri Smith’s email to File seemed threatening. Brown also weighed in on the use of email accounts other than the school system account for conducting board business and on the school system’s price of $2,000 to comply with a resident’s recent Open Records request.

The war of words continued with Smola saying she has and uses a school system email address. Brown after the meeting disagreed.

The board minutes later approved the use of buses for the Great Georgia Airshow, with school system attorney Phil Hartley citing Georgia law that permitted “students and others” to be transported as long as those costs were reimbursed.

“I think the air show qualifies as education and/or recreation,” Hartley said.

The discussion continued for several minutes, ending with an administrative approval of the air show request. It was noted that the approval method for the past three years had been administrative approval rather than the board vote that had been the custom for the previous seven years.

login to post comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Submitted by wheeljc on Fri, 09/19/2008 - 4:49pm.

One question: what kind of image does the Fayette BOE think they are conveying to the surrounding counties and to potential future residents -- currently living outside the metro area? This is really getting to read and look pretty sophomoric!

Would strongly encourage all of the BOE members to read the history of what happened in Clayton County a few years back -- THEN, GROW UP!! Not sure that our kids are being provided the best example of LEADERSHIP!

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Fri, 09/19/2008 - 5:40pm.

the law is something around 2 weeks before the elections. The last time I checked Nov is over a month away. What gives?

It might me the code inforcer should take them down.

Submitted by Brooks Parent on Fri, 09/19/2008 - 10:15pm.

She has get the votes! She has promised the developers a new high school and she has to deliver!

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Fri, 09/19/2008 - 5:44pm.

it must be educational! and just to prove it bet she drove a Fayette county bus around to put them out.

Submitted by Brooks Parent on Thu, 09/18/2008 - 7:28pm.

Here's the best part!!! Where's the contract between the air show and the school system???? Doesn't exist. Also, the YMCA uses our buses during the summer too. Guess what??? NO contract! How convenient! No disclaimer to release the liability of the school system if something happened on the bus! Aren't the three amigos soooo smart!
Taxpayers you need to ask your board members about this lovely new handbook they are trying to get through. It will give them free reign. Smith and Smola are writing it!

gelato's picture
Submitted by gelato on Thu, 09/18/2008 - 8:02pm.

Have they stooped that low and be so conniving as to conduct this kind of business behind closed doors or in dark parking lots? This has greedy, greedy, greedy written all over it. I for one WANT TO SEE THIS SO-CALLED CONTRACT. These money-hungry clowns need to be stopped. Can't wait until the November election!

Submitted by Brooks Parent on Fri, 09/19/2008 - 5:55am.

Seems to be that there isn't one...Interesting....But this handbook is crazy! If SACS investigated this board it would make what happened in Clayton County child's play.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Thu, 09/18/2008 - 5:57am.

this is sad,a lawyer paid for with our tax dollars is telling us the the air show qualifies as educational. That is total BS. How can it qualify as educational when all who board those buses to go to the air show....ARE NOT ENROLED IN THE SCHOOLS, and these buses are not leaving from the schools, or going to a school function?

As for Petesake, she was slamming T Morris and Nicole File last week for all she was worth, this week she just happens to have copies of the emails sent to Smola and Smith.

It is strange we don't hear all this squealing out of the other 3 board members who were emailed.

I also noticed everyone has a school email address...except...Janet Smola. That really makes me wonder how the lawyer was going to give T. Morris....everything... discussed about SPLOST for the past 2 years, when the person leading the charge for it has a private email account?

The very fact that Smola admitted she had been discussing SPLOST for 2 years, yet other board members were not in the loop is disgusting. 2 years ago there was no need of SPLOST, now they are saying it is urgent. Could it be that some have just been wanting more money to play with and plotting how to succeed this time?

Submitted by Brooks Parent on Thu, 09/18/2008 - 7:29pm.

The three amigos have been meeting privately for years. Key and Todd are always left out.

gelato's picture
Submitted by gelato on Thu, 09/18/2008 - 6:25am.

I have had my eye on Smola for a very long time. Her association with the contractors, the Splost (which she has been speaking about before it became public knowledge - yes, I was sitting in a circle of people when she was bragging about it), the way schools have been forced to be a platform for Splost discussion, her arrogance at BOE meetings...the list goes on. I for one find her to be a persona non grata - someone with absolutely no class...someone who is constantly defending her position as opposed to justifying that certain things were done for the welfare of the community; especially our kids.
Smola's response to Nicole File was cheap and totally out of order for a person in a public position. I don't care if it was Nicole File or Barney Fife who wrote her...Smola's response lacked professionalism and tact. Nonetheless, it doesn't surprise me...you can't give what you don't have...and this my fellow readers is who WE have making decisions for our community in the BOE. Repulsive, isn't it?

zoes's picture
Submitted by zoes on Wed, 09/17/2008 - 12:10pm.

How would you or I, as citizens just like File, feel if we had written to Smola with the concerns File addressed and received such an incredibly rude reply?

As an employee of the taxpayers (and an expensive tax I am reminded as I review my property tax bill), Smola (and Smith, even though she butted in) are required to show every single person every single time utmost respect, regardless of the question or issue raised.

I am appalled and offended on behalf of File by the response from Smola (and Smith). They owe her an apology.

ZoeS

"Never love anything that can't love you back."

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Wed, 09/17/2008 - 7:22pm.

yeah, at first you are dumbfounded...wonder who this person thinks they are dealing with, then downright pee pee ed!

Submitted by PeteSake on Wed, 09/17/2008 - 7:05pm.

Sure, here it is. I have since learned that O.C.G.A. 20-2-1075 is the more relevant code section as it serves to clarify and expand permitted uses of school busses. See below. – Terri Smith

O.C.G.A. § 20-2-1074
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2008 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current through the 2008 Regular Session ***
TITLE 20. EDUCATION
CHAPTER 2. ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
ARTICLE 22. SCHOOL BUSES
PART 1. POWERS OF STATE AND LOCAL SCHOOL OFFICIALS
O.C.G.A. § 20-2-1074 (2008)
§ 20-2-1074. Transportation for elderly, persons with disabilities, and 4-H activities

Notwithstanding any other provisions of law to the contrary, including Code Section 20-2-411, county and independent school systems may use school buses to provide transportation for the elderly, persons with disabilities, and 4-H activities if the cost of such transportation is reimbursed in full from federal, state, local, or funds other than school funds.

O.C.G.A. § 20-2-1074

O.C.G.A. § 20-2-1075

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2008 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2008 Regular Session ***

TITLE 20. EDUCATION
CHAPTER 2. ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
ARTICLE 22. SCHOOL BUSES
PART 1. POWERS OF STATE AND LOCAL SCHOOL OFFICIALS

O.C.G.A. § 20-2-1075 (2008)

§ 20-2-1075. Use of county and independent school buses for students participating in recreational or educational activities

Notwithstanding any other provisions of law to the contrary, including Code Sections 20-2-188 and 20-2-411, county and independent school systems may use school buses to provide transportation to students and others to attend summer camps or to participate in other recreational or educational activities if the cost of such transportation and of any additional insurance costs deemed reasonably necessary by the school system are reimbursed in full from public or private funds other than public school funds.