Checks, but no balances

Cal Beverly's picture

School system produces some paid checks, but no actual accounting

A few bloggers seem to miss the point of my earlier column: I received NO invoices detailing attorneys’ fees in my open records request.

Instead, I received mostly copies of school system checks that listed only the numbers of the invoices being paid -- NOT the invoices themselves -- with no detail on what the invoices contained or when they were dated.

The checks (with totals detailed below) document only that these checks were issued and were cashed. We cannot tell if there were other checks or more checks for legal services. The check copies give no accounting of whether other legal fees were charged or the state of the accounts receivable (in other words, were there invoices for services that were not paid yet or were still pending).

I asked our reporter John Munford to tally up the raw data from the check copies. That is reproduced below, along with notations of checks that either seem to be missing for time periods or that were not provided to us.

There’s no way to tell if the copies of checks represent all or only a portion of the legal work done for the school system.

And there is certainly no way to tell what part of the legal fees were spent on “routine” school system business and what part was spent on staff inquiries in preparation for the November SPLOST vote.

An accountant would say to the school system: This is a start, but you’ve got a lot more documentation to come up with before we can tell what you spent this money for.

Unfortunately, the school system is hiding the real stuff behind a flimsy curtain of “attorney-client privilege.”

The Citizen’s attorney will be in touch with the school system’s attorney about these suddenly secret records. We’ll keep you posted.

Summary of checks in FCBOE open records response:

Paid to Harben, Hartley and Hawkins LLP
and its predecessor Harben and Hartley LLP

Amount......Date of Check

$7,460.45......Aug. 29 ‘08
$1,596.13......July 24 ‘08
$4,442.33......July 24 ‘08
$1,229.02......June 30 ‘08

(NO RECORDS in between April 18 and June 30 — is May missing?)

$8,372.18......April 18 ‘08

(NO RECORDS in between Dec. 14 ‘07 and April 18 — are Jan/Feb/March missing)

$9,368.33......Dec. 14 ‘07
$9,677.32......Nov. 26 ‘07
$2,500......Sept. 21, ‘07

subtotal......44,645.76

$16,461.17......Sept. 14, ‘07
$14,968.02......July 27 ‘07
$403......June 22, ‘07
$12,317.28......June 08, ‘07
$4,888.65......May 18, ‘07
$2,921.09......May 11, ‘07
$11,167.20......April 27, ‘07
$3,774.11......March 23, ‘07
$6,271.40......March 16, ‘07
$8,592.79......Feb. 23, ‘07
$1,986.50......Feb. 16, ‘07
$3,483.50......Jan. 12, 2007

subtotal......87,231

Grand total......$131,876.76

(Possibly missing checks for January, February, March and May 2008)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Below column posted Sept. 5, 2008]

School system gets an 'F'; keeps secret its attorney's invoices; Superintendent John DeCotis, what are you trying to hide?

I promised you an update on my open records request to the Fayette County School System. At this point I give the system a grade of “F - Incomplete.”

The system responded within the statutory time limit of three business days. In fact, on Tuesday (Sept. 2) I received a telephone message that my open records request (reproduced below) had been received and responded to.

The following day (Sept. 3) I received a letter from Reanee Ellis, the system director of human resources, detailing what they were willing to release and what they were holding back: 67 pages of documents that would be available for my inspection at no charge. I subsequently paid $16.75 for copies of the documents.

The part I didn’t like was this: “Pursuant to O.C.G.A. 50-18-72(e)(1), we will redact or remove the narrative description of the services provided based on the attorney client privilege.”

All I really got was copies of checks written to Harben, Hartley & Hawkins, LLP of Gainesville, Ga. with only invoice numbers listed on the checks, dating back to January 2007.

The file contained a few letters from HHH with notification of unspecified services related to “due process” hearings, deductibles and a couple of bond refinancings statements.

No invoices of legal services. No details of legal hours billed.

It is a bare-bones collection of checks written with no specificity whatsoever.

Dr. Ellis said that the attorney told them the invoices fell within the attorney-client privilege, an exception under the Open Records law.

Having personally viewed attorney’s invoices to public entities, including hours billed for named projects, several times over the past 20 years, I respectfully disagree with the attorney.

Even so, as Georgia case law clearly states, the privilege of secrecy belongs to the client, NOT to the attorney.

In other words, the client — in this case the public school system of Fayette County, as headed by its superintendent, John DeCotis — is completely legally empowered and free to release all records of contacts with its attorneys — including invoices and billable hours accounting — and the attorney has no standing to object.

So, Dr. DeCotis, what do you have to hide from the people of Fayette County? What do you not want them to know about what you have been spending taxpayers’ money on?

With the school system raising property taxes and calling for a $115 million SPLOST vote in two months, you might think the system and Dr. DeCotis would welcome a scrutiny of its spending of our money. You might think that, but you would be wrong.

Instead, it seems that Dr. DeCotis and the school system is saying, “Give us your money, give us what we ask for, but don’t ask us to account for how we spend it.”

Dr. DeCotis, you got my $16.75 today. It was a waste of my money. You didn’t give me what I asked for and what I, as a taxpayer, have a right to receive.

Why should I — or any other voter — give you millions more until you decide to tell us what you are doing with what you have already taken from us?

The school system is awarded a grade of “F - incomplete” on openness and responsiveness to my open records request.

We’ll see if we have to take them to the principal’s office — Fayette Superior Court — to teach them that they work for the public.

I’ll keep you posted on how this develops.

[Posted Sept. 5, 2008.]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[The item below was posted Aug. 28,2008.]

Following the publication of a letter to the editor from a local taxpayer seeking records of SPLOST discussions within the Fayette County School System, I was struck by how daunting it must be for the average citizen to obtain what should be easily recoverable public records from local governments — in this case the board of education and the school system.

The school system lawyer told the taxpayer it would cost her around $2,000 to look at documentation of discussions about the $115 million SPLOST that will be on the November ballot. He offered no other alternatives.

That struck me as excessively expensive and close to obstructionist. After all, our tax dollars paid for those documents and the people who wrote them. One would think that we owners should expect more cooperation on the part of officials who now want an additional $120 million out of our wallets (the SPLOST plus the newly raised property tax rates).

I became curious about how often a high-priced lawyer gets involved with requests to the school system for records that belong to us, so I filed the following Open Records request with the school system Aug. 28.

I will keep you posted on how quickly I get a response and how cooperative (or obstructionist) the system and its lawyer will be.

Consider this a test that the school system must by law take. We, the taxpayers, will grade them on how well they respond to the people who pay their salaries.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Open records request — Thursday, Aug. 28, 2008

To: The custodian of records for the Fayette County Board of Education and the Fayette County School System

From: Cal Beverly
Editor/publisher
The Citizen Newspapers
Fayetteville, Ga.

Subject: This constitutes an official request by me personally and/or my designated agent on behalf of my newspaper to inspect all records — including invoices, statements, bills, financial recaps, budget documents, etc. — containing information about legal services and attorneys’ services paid for or billed to the school system and board of education from the officially designated attorney for the school board and any and all other legal services billed to or paid for by the school system and/or board of education for the period beginning Jan. 1, 2007, to the present date.

This explicitly includes any attorneys’ statements and invoices detailing billable hours. These financial records have to do with public taxpayers’ funds and are not excludable for inspection under any provision of the Georgia Open Records laws.

I or a representative of my newspaper will personally inspect these records.

We will pay any lawful fees set by statute involved with the compilation of records, not to exceed $100.00 (one hundred dollars) without my prior written authorization to exceed that amount.

However, this is a straightforward request for easily identifiable records of financial transactions, and should be easily recoverable through a general ledger accounting code number for quick, computerized compilation. Thus I would not expect there to be any charges for an in-person inspection of these particular public records. Hard-copy files also should exist of invoices and statements detailing billable hours for attorneys’ and other legal services and should be easily located and produced.

Per statute, the system and board have three business days in which to reply to my request and then a reasonable time following that to produce the actual records for an in-person inspection. Thus, per the state law, I expect to hear from you no later than close of business Wednesday, Sept. 3, 2008, and to inspect ALL the requested records within five business days following that.

Also, please include an accounting of the cost of the attorney for his/her review of this particular request for access to the specified public records.

In addition, please specify whether it is school system or board of education policy to subject any, some or all public records inspection requests to an attorney’s review before such records are made available to the public, and how such determinations are made and by whom.

My business telephone number is 770-719-1880.

My email address is editor@thecitizen.com.

My mailing address is P.O. Drawer 1719, Fayetteville, GA 30214.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Cal Beverly
editor/publisher
The Citizen
Fayetteville, Ga.

login to post comments | Cal Beverly's blog

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Submitted by Spyglass on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 7:59pm.

Do you have something that you "think" you know about these invoices? Or just want to rattle some cages....

Submitted by wheeljc on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 4:20pm.

Given the behavior by the BOE -- especially after the July-August elections --- fear that a new SPLOST would merely become a new 'Piggy Bank'--- at the expense of the taxpayers. Did we not hear that there is a projected decrease in students in 2009? Would be interesting to see what the hard projections for the next ten years are, and the arithmetic methods used in developing those projections.

Guess this is what happens when you lose faith in elected folks!

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 4:53pm.

If a car dealership, like the one the main drag in Fayetteville, sells a $40,000. car, is the buyer going to pay an extra $400.00 in sales tax? If so, that would do a lot of harm to a local car dealership in competition with larger dealerships elsewhere who make it off volume? This could be the killing point of a deal, and a dealership.

If someone in this market, sells a house worth $800,000. for a steal of $500,000., are we really going to clip $5,000. right off the top? This would come off someone who already got scalped and is moving ...out...therefore, should not bear the tax for a school their kids won't be atending.

Local companies like Panasonic, that just layed off 500 people, what will it do to them? What will it do to the locals that loose their jobs because of it?

If this is they way it goes, is it really right to take money from struggling companies and employees possible job security, for the 3 amigos who don't won't to be accountatble?

mapleleaf's picture
Submitted by mapleleaf on Tue, 09/09/2008 - 6:55am.

The sales tax on a car is payable to the county where the car is first registered (the buyer's home county) no matter where the car is bought (even out of state).

If and when Fayette County voters decide to raise their sales tax by one percentage point, they'll pay the extra one percent no matter where they buy their car. Thus the Ford dealer in Fayetteville won't be hurt more than anybody else. Yes, the tax on a $40,000 car will rise from $2,400 to $2,800.

Houses are not subject to the sales tax, but construction materials are. Thus houses under construction will cost the builder more. People who are about to leave Fayette County can vote for the extra sales tax, and then leave the county and avoid paying it after forcing it on the rest of us.

Panasonic is not likely to care one way or another. An increase in the sales tax may cause their property tax to go down.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Tue, 09/09/2008 - 7:04am.

thank you for clearing that up. I'm glad people selling houses won't get clobbered, but it still sounds like a very expensive proposition.

Submitted by loanarranger707 on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 2:18pm.

Anybody who goes up against HHH (Triple H) is gonna have his hands full.

(Just kidding. You're fighting the good fight.)

JeffC's picture
Submitted by JeffC on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 1:54pm.

You're just being a crusty irascible cantankerous curmudgeonly person full of stubborn ideas like the public that pays for these services somehow has a right to know what they're buying and for how much and that there should be accountability from public officials.

My money's on you!

Keep after them.

secret squirrel's picture
Submitted by secret squirrel on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 10:32am.

It's no subtle irony that the Fayette County BOE is located on STONEWALL Avenue.

Submitted by Spyglass on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 2:32pm.

How much money was paid out on the checks you said you received copies of? Why did you leave that part out?

Submitted by DWKK07 on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 4:33pm.

I agree with Spyglass and the other blogger below who commented on the lack of information about how much the checks were for. It kind of looks like that's left out because this story wouldn't be a big deal if we knew how small the amount was. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal anyway and here's why. While it serves the newspaper's interest to try and demonize the classification of this information, it more than likely is simple routine expenditures on things like attorney fees to deal with personnel issues or something else that there is no need to air out publicly. These types of issues rarely have anything to do with the public good or require any enormous expenditures. As somebody with family who works in education, I am glad that they don't carelessly throw around every piece of information. On another note, it could be fees for something like consulation on sensitive issues, which present no valid basis of concern to the public, but if aired out would create a big bogus slander-fest anyway. For example, a bad employee who exhibits terrible work habits and get's fire for it, but then threatens to sue for discrimination. It's probably not true, but making it public creates a negative stigma anyway, and thus they would like to avoid the debate about it.

Submitted by Margot on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 6:07pm.

Notice that DWKK07 works in education. Some people who work in government never want the truth to come out. Then we might upset their gravy train.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 5:11pm.

the point that everyone has made and is noted by all but a few is...

Cal was trying to see how much was spent in the past to keep citizens from seeing records...that is indeed a big deal.

"it more than likely is simple routine expenditures on things like attorney fees to deal with personnel issues or something else that there is no need to air out publicly."

I'm sorry but we the citizens don't pay attorney for BOE's personnel issues. That is insane. We want to know how much has been spent in the past to keep citizens from public records. That is a huge issue.

Thank you Cal.

carbonunit52's picture
Submitted by carbonunit52 on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 4:46pm.

Not that he needs it, but if you really want to know the value of the checks that he received copies of, then duplicate his efforts. He obviously wants to publish something accurate, and cannot do that without all of the necessary information.

"I can't wait until tomorrow, because I get more lovable every day."

Submitted by Spyglass on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 8:53pm.

It seemed to be a BIG issue to him (the amount of money spent on Attorney's, etc). He's the one griping about it. Are you implying that Cal can't add?

NUK_1's picture
Submitted by NUK_1 on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 12:51pm.

They have a Georgia office and I'm sure would be happy to give the very clueless BOE a wake-up call. right now, it's a competition between the idiot attorneys that have been hired in the past and now present by the Clayco board and Fayette's on who gets the laughably worst "interpretation" or mangling of the Open Records and Open Meetings Acts in GA.

www.gfaf.org

AJC might even get in on it if they have some spare time in between BBQ-ing the Clayton incompetents.

Submitted by wheeljc on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 8:57pm.

If we recall, all members of the BOE were elected as republicans.
QUESTION: Does the Fayette County GOP ever ask this board questions as to their policies or expenditure of taxpayer's dollars? Or, does the local party sit by and provide tacit approval?

Submitted by pinkslip on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 12:59pm.

I'm going to repeat myself...

According to Cal's own story the BOE gave him the invoices for legal fees for 19 months. They just didn't give him personal information on the folks involved which I don't fault them for. I just want to know. How much do these invoices add up to?

Another blogger Mr. Tyrone Confidential says Tyrone has spent hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal fees just this year. So how much did the BOE spend in the 19 months Cal asked for. He must have the answer to this question. Why doesn't he just give it to us?

NUK_1's picture
Submitted by NUK_1 on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 4:49pm.

Cal Beverly wrote:
"No invoices of legal services. No details of legal hours billed."

Now, what part of the above leads you to state that "According to Cal's own story the BOE gave him the invoices for legal fees for 19 months."????

The invoices ARE public record, period. That's the law. It doesn't even matter if the legal bills had to do with a personnel matter, real estate, or any information that may be excluded from an open records request. The actual invoice that is detailed about how many hours are billed and for what reason IS public information and isn't protected.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 1:52pm.

still trying to revise what Morris and Cal asked for, still throwing 'stuff' on the wall trying to make it stick...

I think everyone should read this old letter from 99 and pay very close attention to Case 1. It sounds wildly familar to what is going on today. And guess who was the person who's credibily was in question then, just as it is now!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Wednesday, November 24, 1999
Why is Smola lying about anti-SPLOST people?
Who is Janet Smola and why is she lying about Carl Avrit?

I attended the hearings a few days ago at the State Capitol where a board heard two complaints:

Case 1: Claude Paquin had filed charges of conflict of interest against the pro-SPLOST organization, the Fayette County Board of Education. Mr. Paquin presented eye-opening, Board of Education internal memoranda and letters which showed a close and clear working relationship between our Board of Education and the company which would get about $3 million in underwriting fees if SPLOST won. Eye-opening!

The board's lead counsel strongly recommended prosecution after Mr. Paquin's testimony. Unfortunately, this Democratic board, which is a lap dog for the National Education Association, unanimously dismissed Mr. Paquin's most excellent case.

Case 2: Janet Smola filed charges against pro—child, anti-SPLOST activist Carl Avrit for his funding of an anti-SPLOST telephone campaign, flyers, etc., and that the telephone calls had lied about the SPLOST.

It quickly became apparent that Ms. Smola had done poor due diligence regarding her charges. Even though it was well-known that Mr. Avrit was anti-SPLOST via his letters to the editor which were printed in local newspapers; and even though Mr. Avrit's phone number is in the local phone book, Ms. Smola had never attempted to call Mr. Avrit to see if her charges would be accurate.

Ms. Smola's presentation was pathetic, and even though she was shown to be a liar on most issues, she refused to apologize to Mr. Avrit. The board's lead counsel was quiet on Ms. Smola's complaint.

Unfortunately, this Democratic hearing board, which is a lap dog for the National Education Association, was shocked — shocked! — that Mr. Avrit's truthful and accurate telephone calls had not identified his organization's name, rank and serial number and unanimously recommended further prosecution on this one Mickey Mouse charge.

Jesus Christ said that “lawyers and priests would choke on a gnat and swallow a camel.” Jesus would have said the same of the members of that State Capitol hearing board. What a waste of taxpayer money. What a waste of Mr. Avrit's time and money. Must we now obtain a license to speak?

William J. Bryan III

Peachtree City

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 7:20am.

If Smola's background was insurance contracts as this very quote says from her re election page....why couldn't she find someone cheaper than 3 million dollars to underwrite the SPLOST contracts? Who was this company anyway?

"When asked why I consider myself qualified to manage school system budgets I would refer to the many licenses I have held in the insurance and securities industry prior to dedicating my life to the non- profit world. "

Submitted by pinkslip on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 2:05pm.

And you don't like the decisions the Georgia State Ethics Commission made. What does something that happened nine years ago have to do with Cal's FOI report today?

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 2:21pm.

If eye-opening internal memoranda and letters showing close relationships between the BOE and the co getting 3 million in underwriting fees was made public, it is debatable that she won.

"Mr. Paquin presented eye-opening, Board of Education internal memoranda and letters which showed a close and clear working relationship between our Board of Education and the company which would get about $3 million in underwriting fees if SPLOST won. Eye-opening!"

Submitted by pinkslip on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 3:32pm.

Doesn't really matter what you think does it. The GA State Ethics Commission said she was right. And you do know she was not in office in 1999.

gelato's picture
Submitted by gelato on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 8:45pm.

You're back as a blogger AGAIN? Why don't you just go back to the "other" blogging place or to another planet for that matter. Just go away. The Smola Virus will be history in November. F I L E is the name that will clean it up! Start counting the days...I hear Dubai is a nice place to visit.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 3:44pm.

Friday, September 17, 1999
School 'Open House' a SPLOST manipulation
We attended what was billed as “Open House” at Booth Middle School on Tues., Sep 14. The “Open House” began with general remarks by the principal, Lynn Wentzel, followed by a PTO General meeting lead by the PTO President, Rosetta Brown. This portion of the evening took approximately 30 minutes. We thought we would then head to the classrooms. However, the next portion of the meeting was a 35-minute dissertation given by Janet Smola on the merits of passing SPLOST. Ms. Smola then stated “in the interest of time” she would be available in the front hall to take questions. No opposing view was put forth, nor did Mrs. Brown ask if anyone wished to respond.

After Ms. Smola's speech, we were directed to begin the “Meet the Teachers” portion of the evening, spending FIVE minutes in each class, for a grand total of 35 minutes' discussion of our child's seven academic subjects.

When we questioned Mrs. Wentzel about the SPLOST portion of the program, she immediately directed us to Mrs. Brown, stating that the PTO was responsible for having SPLOST on the agenda. We approached Mrs. Brown to ask her why there had not been a balanced presentation of SPLOST. Mrs. Brown said something about the PTO contacting “the Citizen's group” to have a speaker come to the meeting for “a five minute talk on SPLOST” and was given the names of Janet Smola, Mike Satterfield, and Debbie Condon, all of whom were at the PTO meeting. Mrs. Brown said she had “no idea” Ms. Smola was going to speak. When we asked why no one with an opposing view was invited, Mrs. Brown stated “anyone could have responded after Ms. Smola spoke”.

To say we were annoyed is an understatement, having endured the same tactics at McIntosh High School's “Open House” two weeks ago. These are the same tactics used by a “different” board the last time SPLOST came up for a vote. One would have to be pretty naive to not see how SPLOST supporters manipulated the evening advertised as an “Open House” for students' parents. None of the reminder notes sent home mentioned there would be a one sided presentation of SPLOST.

It is insulting that we were held captive and lectured about information that was readily available in a flyer and at an information desk. It is disappointing that the PTO could be manipulated and manipulate parents in such a manner.

BOB and LAUREN CLARK
Peachtree City

Submitted by johngeorgejames on Mon, 09/29/2008 - 10:31am.

You have just told a story from the 90s. I suggest, if you want to back in time, look at the history of SPLOST in Clayton County. It repeatedly failed and so has the school system. Is that what you want for Fayette, or do you even care (can you say home schoolers)?

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 1:58pm.

the eye opening details might make good reading.

Case 1: Claude Paquin had filed charges of conflict of interest against the pro-SPLOST organization, the Fayette County Board of Education. Mr. Paquin presented eye-opening, Board of Education internal memoranda and letters which showed a close and clear working relationship between our Board of Education and the company which would get about $3 million in underwriting fees if SPLOST won. Eye-opening!

alittlebirdietoldme's picture
Submitted by alittlebirdietoldme on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 1:56pm.

keep it comin!

Submitted by TyroneConfidential on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 12:30pm.

I said you wouldn’t get the legal fees from the Fayette Board of Education. You got the old attorney-client privilege excuse used by all governments. But you’re doing your homework, to which you receive a grade A+. Are you not the taxpayer who pays the attorneys fees? Does not this make you the real client? You might also think about a complaint to the Georgia Bar. An attorney who withholds information to you, the real client, is guilty of an ethical violation. All complaints to the bar must be investigated. Win or lose, the more pressure put on the government, the closer we get to the truth. The Fayette Superior Court of course is the best bet. The attorney-client privilege only involves confidential information, not public records of expenditures.

All governments take the position that the attorney works only for the government. That means the citizens have no legal representation in their government. The citizens have to pay for the government lawyer who works against the citizens, then must pay again to hire a lawyer to defend themselves against their own government!. What ever happened to government of the people, by the people and for the people? It was stolen by our elected representatives and bureaucrats.

Submitted by pinkslip on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 1:05pm.

So what were they????? He conveniently left the most important fact out. Aren't any of you even curious as to why he didn't tell us that. My guess is it's probably so small he's embarassed.

sniffles5's picture
Submitted by sniffles5 on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 1:50pm.

Look at it another way, pinkslip.

Suppose Cal were to ask the BOE for the results of last night's Braves game. After diligent conversation with Phil Hartley, the school board replies "Braves 5, and the rest is redacted".

The Pinkslips of this world deem that sort of response "adequate".
Those of us not dedicated to excusing the actions of the current school board, however, recognize that sort of response for what it is: an incomplete and completely inadequate answer.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 2:02pm.

don't we?

Shoebox's picture
Submitted by Shoebox on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 12:18pm.

Anyone who wants more money from me needs to show me what they are doing with the money I already gave them! You go Cal!

gelato's picture
Submitted by gelato on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 8:48pm.

Claudia Anne, you're a person after my own heart. I will fight these racketeers every step of the way. No SPLOST!

Submitted by helpful lawyer on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 8:34am.

There are two ways of dealing with government agencies. One is to outwit them and the other is to confront them.

To me, outwitting them is more fun. It is also cheaper. I concede it does not always work, but why not try it first?

Georgia Code section 50-18-70(b)reads as follows:

All public records of an agency …, except those which by order of a court of this state or by law are prohibited or specifically exempted from being open to inspection by the general public, shall be open for a personal inspection by any citizen of this state at a reasonable time and place; and those in charge of such records shall not refuse this privilege to any citizen.

Open for a personal inspection means just that. You go down there and look at the files.

You don’t have to tell them which exact files you want or what you want to do with them. You just want to look. Of course, you go down there with a legal pad so you can make notes. You’ll always be free to order photocopies later, if you wish.

Let’s say you ask to look at all the invoices for services paid from April 1 to June 30, 2008.

Now the monkey is put on the agency’s back to tell you which of these invoices it considers prohibited or exempt from being open to inspection. By not telling the agency that you’re especially interested in lawyers’ invoices, you have not alerted them to possible excuses for denying you what you want.

Looking at all these invoices trying to think up excuses for not letting you see them is also a lot of work, and we all know that civil servants seldom have a reputation as hard workers. Many of them will say, here’s the filing cabinet, help yourself.

When you look in there, you might find things that are even more interesting than the original items you were looking for.

Many civil servants lead miserable lives, devoid of excitement. In many ways, they love confrontation that brings in lawyers and may involve going to court. It makes their lives more interesting, and the taxpayers are footing the legal bill. They, and their lawyers, secretly giggle whenever someone threatens to sue. Taking them on is like wrestling with a pig: you get dirty and the pig loves the attention.

Now, what that helpful, or wasn’t it?

NUK_1's picture
Submitted by NUK_1 on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 1:10pm.

Considering that last week you didn't know what you were talking about concerning the Open Records Act by making up some stuff about how the government has a duty to make sure any requests aren't harassment(NO) and that the requester has a duty to "help" fulfill the request they made(NO), maybe you ought to stick with another area of law that you may have some knowledge about. You're totally wrong again this week.

The gov doesn't have to let you walk in the door and examine anything you want without any notice. If you read further, you'll see that they have 3 days and YES, YOU DO HAVE TO TELL THEM WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO EXAMINE IN ADVANCE so they can determine whether they can legally give you whatever you have requested or not:

(f) The individual in control of such public record or records shall have a reasonable amount of time to determine whether or not the record or records requested are subject to access under this article and to permit inspection and copying. In no event shall this time exceed three business days. Where responsive records exist but are not available within three business days of the request, a written description of such records, together with a timetable for their inspection and copying, shall be provided within that period; provided, however, that records not subject to inspection under this article need not be made available for inspection and copying or described other than as required by subsection

(h) of Code Section 50-18-72, and no records need be made available for inspection or copying if the public officer or agency in control of such records shall have obtained, within that period of three business days, an order based on an exception in this article of a superior court of this state staying or refusing the requested access to such records.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 8:19am.

than anything I've seen. Thank you Cal and staff.

Submitted by Spyglass on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 6:52am.

Fayette only has one of the better systems in the area with some of the top performing Schools in the State.

Did someone over there hurt your feelings?

bad_ptc's picture
Submitted by bad_ptc on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 9:25pm.

Spyglass, Fiscal Management and Ethics to name just two

“88.26 percent of the total budget being spent on salaries and fringe benefit costs.”

That translates into a whopping 11.74 % to pay for contracted services, supplies and instructional materials, utilities and equipment, with a major emphasis directed toward student needs and classroom instruction.

Really? It would seem that the major emphasis, 88.26%, is directed towards the ”FCBOE employees salaries and fringe benefit costs”

“A little over half of the resources needed to operate the county’s schools are generated locally, primarily through property taxes.”

That’s after spending 10’s of MILLIONS on schools we don’t need + $1,000’s for a consultant that the FCBOE ignored!

“For the fiscal Year 2007 the student population was 22,397.”
“Per pupil expenditures for fiscal Year 2007 was $8,317.86.”

Maybe we should “state the FACTS” this way.
Per FCBOE employee expenditures for fiscal Year 2007 was $45,437.85. That put’s a different light on the issue doesn’t it?

How about we do the math this way?
All FCBOE employees’ salaries and fringe benefits are calculated on their national rankings.

Is $10M new school needed?
Tue, 08/19/2008 - 4:30pm
By: Ben Nelms

“By the time new 675-student school opens, the system will have 700 more slots than it has students to fill them.”

“Whatever the questions raised, officials shoveled the first ceremonial dirt this month, beginning the process of building a new, $9.9 MILLION, elementary school that will be looking for students to fill it.” (Clayton County students come to mind)

“In a school system where growth has long become the norm, enrollment at Fayette County schools decreased by 259 students in 2007-2008 compared to the 2006-2007 school year.”

”The Fayette County School System averages approximately 500 new students each year.” Thank you Clayton County.

Currently on the FCBOE WEB site:
2008-2009 System Enrollment
“Enrollment total as of August 19, 2008: 22,021

”The Fayette County School System averages approximately 500 new students each year.”

Who am I to believe?

“That decrease, DeCotis said earlier, was likely due to the slowing economy and a number of children that were found to reside in Clayton County and were subsequently removed from Fayette schools.”

“For the 2008-2009 school year that began Aug. 11, enrollment figures are at 21,993 as of Aug. 15, according to school system spokesperson Melinda Berry-Dreisbach. Those figures represent 115 fewer students than last year but 336 more than what had been projected in July.“

The FCBOE web site states, “After the national economic downturn following the events of September 11, 2001, the State of Georgia experienced a significant loss of revenue.” Maybe someone should show Dr. DeCotis what’s published on his own web site before he and the rest of the FCBOE decided to tax us back to the Stone Age!

It appears that the math skills of the FCBOE are lacking to say the least.

Doesn’t the FCBOE speak with the local development authorities? The FCDA maintains an Education link on their web site.

NEWS FLASH for the FCBOE: Have you asked the county how many building permits for single and multi family housing units have been issued lately?

Here’s some information that took all of about 1 min. to find.
“Other current totals in the 13-county metro region: Cobb – 3,952, Gwinnett – 5,733, Clayton – 3,994, Cherokee – 1,145, Douglas – 1,384, Fayette – 608, Henry – 2,190, Rockdale – 968, Forsyth – 611, Bartow – 657 and Hall – 726, according to Equity Depot.”

“This year, foreclosure totals have almost reached last year's rates, even though more than two months remain in the year. Already, Fulton County has 11,294 total foreclosures and DeKalb County has 8,050.“

How about this one?

ATLANTA (FOX 5) -- The metro area has experienced a record number of foreclosures in 2007

“There have been over 53,000 foreclosures in metro Atlanta in 2007, some 6,800 properties were foreclosed on in October 2007 alone.”

“Equity Depot's David Cook said he's seen about a 25 percent increase in foreclosures in the past year with the highest rates in Fulton, Dekalb, and Gwinnett counties.”

Does the FCBOE think that Fayette County is immune to this?

Perhaps the FCBOE should contact one or two of the few Delta Airlines employees that live in Fayette County and see if they can “spare another dime” for the kingdom.

One could reasonably believe that of the 4,000+ FCBOE employees, at least one or two of them have a spouse, close friend or relative in either the real-estate or banking business.

And now the FCBOE comes back, just after the elections, and taxes me and my fellow Fayette County homeowners another $8.2 MILLION!

I’m left to wonder just exactly how much of that will be put towards the students education or is that money needed for those ”fringe benefit costs”?

SPLOST to go on Nov. ballot after board disagreement
Mon, 08/04/2008 - 10:05pm

“Prior to the vote, one of the differences of opinion between Todd and Smola centered on the amount of time that the SPLOST had been considered. Smola had referenced a two-year period that the potential for a SPLOST initiative had been discussed.“

I must be either hard of hearing or completely deaf as I didn’t hear ANY of the FCBOE members that were running in the latest election speaking about it in public.

When any group of people can keep a $100,000,000 secret to over two years it makes me wonder what else we haven’t heard about. Scary ain’t it?

I’m sorry Sypglass, could you repeat the question?

Submitted by Sick of Fascists on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 7:57am.

Seems crazy to seek to disrupt a school system that got the #3 SAT scores in the state. And it's not just SAT scores. The CRCTs are high, too. Our elementary schools are all doing very well. John DeCotis works tirelessly to ensure it remains so. Do you wish we were more like Clayton? Let them do their jobs, not waste their time with your frivolity. I am highly satisfied with this school system, and really don't want you to screw it up.

Submitted by MYTMITE on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 5:01pm.

in the country, then saying we are third in the state for Sat scores, is a little like bragging that you are tall, just because you at 5 feet are taller than your relations.

Submitted by Sick of Fascists on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 7:55pm.

Actually, you can't just look at blanket ranking. You have to keep in mind that in GA, 70% of high school kids took the SAT. In Alabama, only 8% took it. So our average score is brought down by the very fact that less qualified kids are taking the test. This is a good thing.... 70% are considering college. Also, in some regions of the country, kids are more apt to take the ACT.
But, look at the numbers for Fayette.
The national average SAT score was 1511. The state average was 1472.
McIntosh scored an average of 1625....much higher than the national average. Starr's Mill scored an average of 1605...still quite a bit higher than average for the nation.
So don't let that 47th out of 50 number fool ya.

Submitted by Spyglass on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 1:18pm.

seems like a witchhunt to me. EVERYTHING is not a Conspiracy.

Submitted by Bonkers on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 4:43pm.

Do you know how Fayette County stands in the USA county ratings on those tests?
Since Georgia is 47th out of 50 states in rank, does that make their ranking in Georgia fantastic, or not?

Submitted by Spyglass on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 8:55pm.

but you wouldn't understand.

NUK_1's picture
Submitted by NUK_1 on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 12:39pm.

As long as everything is great, it's OK to raise taxes every year, attempt to break the law, and not be held accountable to the citizens.

I don't think it is frivolous to ask for public records that are readily available, especially when the same entity is pushing for a SPLOST under the threat that everyone will go completely to hell if isn't approved. Since no one seems to have heard SPLOST mentioned until post-election yet the BOE attorney says there exists a ton of documents for some reason, shouldn't the public have a right to know? We pay for the school system and being informed isn't too much to expect, especially since this system wants the residents to give them even more money.

Yes, the Fayette school system right now is one of the best in GA. It's probably at its apex right now and will decline in the future as less parents are moving into the county that want to stay involved in their children's education and the demographics get skewed. Success up until now doesn't mean they get a free pass to do whatever they want to do.

Submitted by pinkslip on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 10:00am.

Here’s what I’d like to know. Tami Morris filed an open records request. She got info and never said what it was. Cal Beverly filed an open records request. He got info and never said what it was. The questions they wanted answered…Tami’s: did the school system ever discuss using SPLOST prior to the primary election in July. Yes or no. Cal wanted to know how much the school system spent on legal fees. How much was it over the 18 month period? Is it out of line or not.

Why don’t you print the results?

1. Did the school system examine the possibility of SPLOST before July and if so for how long?

2. What was the total of those legal fees you obtained? How do they compare to other entities such as the cities and county commission budgets and other school systems of comparable size. The bottom line is how much did they spend and how does that compare.....reasonably or not.

I personally do not feel that if I had legal dealings with the school system I would want you to have my name or my kid’s name all over your newspaper. Removing private identities and issues is quite reasonable in my opinion.

Give us the facts Cal. Let us decide for ourselves if someone is up to monkey business.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 10:28am.

If I showed you half of a picture, could you tell me everything that was in it, or what it looked like as a whole?

Tami Morris question was not if SPLOST was ever discussed before the election. It is common knowledge...now...after the elections... it was... by Janet Smola for at least 2 years, but who else?

I belive Mr Todd when he said it was disscussed only in passing in front of him in June. It seems that Smola and cronies were working on it, but were not sharing this info with the public, or her fellow board members. What I think Ms Morris and everyone else wants to know, is who was this privilaged group and what was discussed? How come some got to voice they wanted an aquatict center and astro turf while others knew nothing of this?

As for Cal Beverly, he was given copies of canceled checks. For what were they written? Again, only half the picture.

Why don't you redirect your question to the BOE. "Give us the facts, let us decide for ourselves if someone is up to monkey business". So far, that hasn't been done.

Submitted by pinkslip on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 11:30am.

Maybe the BOE can upload those things to their web site.

Either meetings occurred discussing SPLOST or they did not.

What's the total money spent on legal fees.

I'd still like to see their answer. Did the school board have public meetings where SPLOST was discussed or not. What is the total attorney's fees for the 18 months Cal asked for and better yet what % of the overall budget is that and how does it compare to everyone else. Easy, easy to add up and figure out.

Simple questions....for which I'm pretty sure there are simple answers in the hands of Tami Morris and Cal Beverly. I'm starting to be a little concerned they won't tell us.

Submitted by 30YearResident on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 8:57pm.

Cal
While we don't agree on many aspects of county government, we absolutely agree on this.
I've been saying for years.. YEARS ... that the Fayette County school board and school administration are and have been totally out of control.
Maybe more of us should request these records from the School administration.
It's my money that they're spending and it's my paycheck that they want a bigger part of.
They need to be accountable and they never have.... but they do it "for the children" HOCKYPUCK !! They do it for themselves!

You really want to shake things up ??

They brag about the SAT scores. Ask them "Of the children that took the SAT tests this year, how many received their elementary education and or middle school education in the Fayette school system?
Give us a breakdown of those being educated here and those that transferred in.

I think that would be a VERY interesting statistic.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 7:56am.

What has made this a great place for the kids is that parents who want a good education in a public school have moved here for years. They tell little Johnnie to show respect for the teachers and if he acts up in school, his butt is theirs when he gets home. The good teachers that taught in Clayton and other counties have come here in droves, because they wanted a place they could teach, not referee.

These are some of the things that made the schools great. It has nothing to do with Janet Smola's arrogant inference that she caused their SAT scores to miraculously blossom once they crossed the county line.

Proof of this is indeed in the SAT scores of the high schools this year.

Disillusioned parents in the North part of the county who have complained to the deaf ears of Smola, I know cause I was one, are moving to Coweta in droves. They are sick to death of the out of county students and no results on the complaining. It has only been her cause in the past year or so, when she ran down to the southern part of the county to get votes. In her area she is toast!

This year...all 3...of Coweta high schools beat Fayette County High, Whitewater, and Sandy Creek! Only McIntosh and Starr's mill pulled the scores way above. The main reason is these haven't been over run by the out of county kids...yet.

It would seem these good students and parents are moving out and taking their high SAT scores with them!

PLEASE GOD, HELP PEOPLE SPELL NICOLE FILES' NAME CORRECT ON ELECTION DAY!

Submitted by Spyglass on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 6:54am.

from Henry County a little over 4 years ago. He's now a Junior at McIntosh, and Fayette County schools are hands down better than Henry. Teacher's are more cooperative, the staff at the Schools are more cooperative..on and on, there is just not a comparison.

sniffles5's picture
Submitted by sniffles5 on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 4:56pm.

If you visit Janet Smola's re-election website (a.k.a. "Fantasyland"), you'll see the second greatest accomplishment under her regime is that the

"Government of Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada awarded the school system the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting."

That's some mighty fine "excellence" there, Janet!

Please God, let enough people spell Nicole File's name correctly on election day.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 7:25am.

on election day ! Wow! Priceless. That should be the campaign slogan

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 5:17pm.

United STates and Canada....awarded the school system the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting."
Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program

The GFOA established the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program (CAFR Program) in 1945 to encourage and assist state and local governments to go beyond the.. minimum... requirements... of generally accepted accounting principles to prepare comprehensive annual financial reports that evidence the spirit of... transparency and full disclosure... and then to recognize individual governments that succeed in achieving that goal.

Reports submitted to the CAFR program are reviewed by selected members of the GFOA professional staff and the GFOA Special Review Committee (SRC), which comprises individuals with expertise in public-sector financial reporting and includes financial statement preparers, independent auditors, academics, and other finance professionals.

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 5:26pm.

it just means this group is encouraging more transparency and at least minimum transparency.
Again Smola's BS
• Is specifically designed to encourage state and local governments to prepare and issue a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) of the highest quality.Top-quality financial reporting is essential if governments are to be fully accountable to their citizens and to others with an interest in the government’s finances.

• Strives to assist participating governments to achieve the goal of preparing top-quality CAFRs

.Program participants benefit from access to a wealth of technical material specifically developed to help them comply with program requirements.They also profit from a thorough confidential
review of their CAFR.

• Allows the public finance profession a welcome opportunity to recognize those governments thathave, in fact, succeeded in preparing a high quality CAFR.This recognition can be viewed as a
positive factor by credit rating agencies and by others interested in the professionalism of a government’s finance function.

• Is affordable for even the smallest governments because of its sliding fee scale.

Submitted by wheeljc on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 4:45pm.

For the life of me, are these folks -- all involved in the Fayette County system -- oblivious to what has happened in Clayton County? Do they not think that their actions could result in the same type of collapse that befell Clayton? Why are they not taking their jobs seriously? It appears sadly evident that some major mistakes were made by us -- the voters -- in July and August. No wonder scores are not increasing!! When could there be a recall election??

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 5:42pm.

Nicole File is running as a write in for Janet Smola's seat, we need only one other in Smiths's...any takers?

Some have gotten very smug on the board with their monopoly. After their election, they took the gloves off and got down to work on us. No more masks, they showed what a lot knew was under there. They never counted on some nice people coming forward to save the day.

Please don't try any smear on Nicole, she is above that. As for the rest of us who are sick of the gutter tactic, try it on her, and we are not, we will make sure we do the digging of anything that is not already common knowlege among so many.

Ruth Kimble's picture
Submitted by Ruth Kimble on Fri, 08/29/2008 - 1:07pm.

I don't always agree with you, but this one is a no-brainer.

Way to go Cal. I look forward their the response.

Ruth Kimble

Submitted by SaveFayette on Fri, 08/29/2008 - 9:44am.

Mr. Beverly,

Your efforts to keep our government open using our rights under the 1st Amendment are admirable and to be commended. Please accept my heartfelt thanks on your professionalism and dedication.

James Wingo
Peachtee City

Submitted by wheeljc on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 10:26pm.

Great work Cal.

Some what surprised at the 'recklessness' of the BOE this soon after an election, and the debacle in Clayton County over similar issues. How can they expect to have credibility with those they are supposed to serve?? Pretty SAD!

Has the public school system in this Country become so politically bureaucratic and cumbersome that we are seeing it beginning to implode -- at TAXPAYER'S EXPENSE??

Why should citizens trust the BOE's recommendations on SPLOST? Guess the real question is: WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON IN SECRET THAT THE 'EMPLOYER' DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT??

suggarfoot's picture
Submitted by suggarfoot on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 7:52pm.

I wonder if people realize what a difference this paper has been in keeping people on the up and up?

Silence Dogood's picture
Submitted by Silence Dogood on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 8:07pm.

"I wonder if people realize what a difference this paper has been in keeping people on the up and up?"

I wish this paper would have made a difference at the polls.

carbonunit52's picture
Submitted by carbonunit52 on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 7:31pm.

with an agenda that I am in complete agreement with. This should get really interesting.

"Whatever you practice is what you will be good at".

sniffles5's picture
Submitted by sniffles5 on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 6:36pm.

It's long past time that someone took a good look at school board attorney Phil Hartley, a man who appears to believe that secrecy is the only way a school board can succeed..

I'd particularly like to see the invoices for August 2007, when the Fayette School System got some VERY questionable legal advice that declared that redistricting committee meetings were not subject to Open Meetings if no school board members attended. (Certain school board members were alleged to have given instructions beforehand to certain pliable redistricting committee members).

NUK_1's picture
Submitted by NUK_1 on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 7:50pm.

Once again, cal steps up to hold the school board and their attorney's feet to the fire and doesn't accept the BS they have succeeded in burying the citizens in before.

The Aug. 2007 attempt to close public meetings because the redistricting issue should be handled in private according to one of our overpaid and unnecessary superintendents(Sam Sweat)was backed by the board attorney for a while. That pretty much proved the board was getting the same kind of terrible legal advice that Clayco got from their attorney who had no clue whatsoever of the Open Meetings Act and told them it was OK to violate the law 19 different times.

Neither the Open Meetings or Open Records Acts are hard to understand. All elected officials get training on the topic, though I do know quite a few attorneys who have no clue about it. For once, these Acts didn't contain vague language, political junk and uncertainty, they spelled out very directly what is and is not an open meeting or an open record and how closed meetings and information must be handled.

Git Real's picture
Submitted by Git Real on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 7:28pm.

Thanks for following up on this. I have a feeling Putin and Medvedev are following Smola and Company on a moment to moment basis on how to treat the peasants in Georgia who dare question their authority, The assault on their neighbor strangely resembles our school board's assault on the Fayette County Taxpayers.

Might I suggest that you assign Sniffles as your 'designated agent' to research the school board's appearance of impropriety? He seems to have a really good grasp on what's taking place at the Kremlin.... I mean the BOE.

Tug13's picture
Submitted by Tug13 on Thu, 08/28/2008 - 6:26pm.

Also thanks to the Fayette Co. taxpayer who wrote the letter to The Citizen!!! Smiling

Evil Elvis's picture
Submitted by Evil Elvis on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 8:09pm.

Kathy Cox is an insufferable buffoon. Anybody else watching her embarrass herself on this TV show?

Says everything you need to know about public education in Georgia.

Submitted by Okie on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 9:21pm.

Huh, well she's the only one to win a million dollars. If that's what you call a buffoon, I'd like to be one too! I could use a million dollars!

Submitted by PTC Dawg on Mon, 09/08/2008 - 10:38pm.

I heard an interview with Jeff Foxworthy this AM and he said they really wanted to give away a million and was so glad it could be someone from his state. He never said so directly, but one could deduce from his comments that the producers were anxious to finally have a winner after so long on air. If you noticed, quite a few of the questions were either listed as social studies, history or geography - subjects under the social studies teacher's umbrella. Questions are usually more varied by topic.

Evil Elvis's picture
Submitted by Evil Elvis on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 9:34pm.

The show is a long way from completing the New York Times crossword in one fell swoop.

Surprised them eggs gots protein?

You seem impressed by an adult's ability to answer questions usually put to children.

Submitted by Okie on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 8:01am.

I got them all correct except for the one about Panama being next to Costa Rica. I knew that in about...7th Grade when I took Geography. I could locate and name every state, country, capital, and river on a map. Since that's been a while ago, can't do it any more. As I recall, the Rocket Scientist didn't get very far on that show. You should try it, you seem to know everything! Why is it some people take such joy in putting other people down??

Evil Elvis's picture
Submitted by Evil Elvis on Sat, 09/06/2008 - 5:18pm.

And that made me curious why it impressed you. As you, too, knew the answers, I'm more curious than ever why her victory seemed impressive to you.

The second loss of accreditation (with the third pending) in forty years on her watch is not balanced out by answering third grade questions correctly.

Maybe when five or six Georgia counties lose accreditation, Cox can redeem us by winning money on Wheel of Fortune. I assume she knows the alphabet.

Submitted by susieq on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 9:08pm.

The first person to win $1 million on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" is Kathy Cox.

Did that embarrass you?

alittlebirdietoldme's picture
Submitted by alittlebirdietoldme on Sun, 09/07/2008 - 8:33am.

Maybe she can donate to the SPLOST $ issues of the FCBOE??

Evil Elvis's picture
Submitted by Evil Elvis on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 9:28pm.

The superintendent can answer 5th grade questions? High praise indeed. One would think that to be expected.

Her comportment was embarrassing -- all the more so in the wake of CRCT and accreditation drama.

Georgia public schools are ever-more quickly becoming a joke. Evidently, the jumping, cackling clownish buffoon impressed you with her ability to know that sugar has no protein.

Submitted by susieq on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 9:35pm.

You ARE evil to make such a personal attack.

Evil Elvis's picture
Submitted by Evil Elvis on Fri, 09/05/2008 - 9:47pm.

Or is that stupidity? I'll take competent administration of Georgia's public schools over game show victories any day -- at least when we're talking about the superintendent.

You may be content in the knowledge that the Supe knows Cornwallis was at Yorktown; I would prefer knowing Clayton County was accredited.