PTC home damaged by fire

Tue, 01/08/2008 - 4:57pm
By: John Thompson

Donations sought for family that ‘lost everything’

A Peachtree City family is now living temporarily in a hotel after the home they were renting was heavily damaged by a fire Saturday afternoon.

The home at 191 Rockspray Ridge suffered heavy heat and smoke damage, but fortunately the family wasn’t inside the home at the time, said Peachtree City Fire Marshal John Dailey.

Investigators aren’t sure if the fire was electrical in nature, but no other influencing factors were found, Dailey said. The fire started near the family’s Christmas tree, he said.

The Rockspray subdivision is just off Log House Road in south Peachtree City.

Donations for the family are being collected at Curves exercise center at 301 Kelly Drive in Peachtree City behind the Hella building off Ga. Highway 74.

Clothes are being collected for the family’s two boys, ages 8 and 11, and gift cards to restaurants are being sought because the family is living in a hotel temporarily and cannot prepare meals. The 8-year-old wears a size 10 in clothes and the 11-year-old wears a size 18 husky or a men’s medium.

Gift cards to stores such as Wal-Mart might also help the family buy needed items, as they lost everything in the fire, including all the kids’ toys, a family member said.

The family was assisted by the American Red Cross which provided temporary shelter and other assistance as it does for all families whose house is damaged significantly by fire.

login to post comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Submitted by gordman on Fri, 09/19/2008 - 9:26am.

Renting a home comes with a risk of it's own, the example above is a perfect lesson for people in the same situation. We tend to ignore details like renters insurance but in moments like these they become extremely important.

Submitted by concerned individual on Fri, 01/11/2008 - 5:47pm.

You are such an ASS there are children here who lost everything. You need to get off your judgemental ass and go find your heart IF you ever had one !

Submitted by Paul Erwin on Wed, 01/09/2008 - 10:00am.

Started near the CHRISTMAS TREE??? It's after the new year!!! take the damn tree down and it wouldn't have started the fire in the first place!

Bruiser's picture
Submitted by Bruiser on Wed, 01/09/2008 - 11:46am.

The family had just made some major changes in the interior decor and wanted to enjoy the festive atmosphere for a few more days, otherwise the tree would have been taken down already. The tree lights were not even illuminated at the time of the fire's ignition.

We keep the family in our prayers and are thankful that no one was hurt. The fire could have just as easily started while they were sleeping rather than in the afternoon when everyone was safely outside the home.

Not to be mistaken for sounding materialistic, but in addition to donations of clothing, let's keep in mind that the 2 boys have lost all their newly acquired Christmas toys as well. No reason for the young kids to suffer this post-Christmas season without being able to play with them. Maybe we can give donations of toys or even gift cards for that purpose as well.

Submitted by scooter on Thu, 01/10/2008 - 9:47am.

Obviuosly, if they were renting it was the owner who made changes in the decor and they should have had the tree gone by then since it is not their house and everyone knows real trees cause the worst house fires. The owners are just as much inconvenienced as their tenants. They are the ones who have to rebuild. Hopefully the tenants had
enough sense to have some type of renters insurance of their own.
More importantly there were no injuries and everone is fine and living in a community like ours, I'm sure there will be many donations and assistance for them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.