Ex-mayor upset over ‘secret’ meeting

Thu, 03/29/2007 - 3:14pm
By: John Munford

City admits notice not posted for impact fee confab

Peachtree City officials say they didn’t intend to keep Wednesday’s meeting of the city’s impact fee committee secret.

They just failed to publicly advertise the meeting’s time and location, which is normally how all public meetings are handled, said city spokesperson Betsy Tyler. But the lack of an announcement was not done intentionally, as several city staffers erroneously thought the meeting had been posted, Tyler said.

The meeting took place around noon Wednesday at a local restaurant, which according to former Mayor Steve Brown doesn’t allow the public to have much input. Several city staffers thought the meeting had been property advertised by posting a notice outside City Hall, but it turns out that didn’t happen, Tyler said.

“Though legally it didn’t have to be (publicized), but it’s something we’d have done anyway,” Tyler said, explaining that the city wants to avoid even the appearance of having any secret meetings.

Tyler said City Attorney Ted Meeker confirmed that Georgia law does not require the meeting’s time and date to be publicized because the committee does not include any city council members. Still, she added, it has been the city’s procedure over the years to publicize all meetings, Tyler added.

Brown added that since the impact fee committee is talking about matters relating to the controversial proposed annexation in the city’s West Village, the city should go out of its way to make sure the public is given ample notice and opportunity to attend.

The reason the impact fee committee was created by the City Council recently is the proposed annexation of two parcels on the city’s northwest quadrant that would add more than 1,194 homes via annexation. If those two annexations are approved, the city will have to determine how much the developers of those parcels, John Wieland Homes and Levitt and Sons, must pay in impact fees.

Impact fees, which are charged per residential unit, can be used to pay for various infrastructure, and in this case some of the items being considered include a potential new fire station to serve the West Village area.

Brown said one of the main issues with the impact fee will be how much impact fee credits the developers will get for building the bridge over the CSX railroad tracks and how much in impact fees will be used to build a new astroturfed multi-purpose sports field that may be built at the city’s Hwy. 74 south baseball and soccer complex.

The committee is heavily represented by members of the development community, but that’s because the makeup of the committee is required by Georgia law, Tyler said.

Ironically, when Brown was mayor The Citizen filed an open meetings lawsuit against the city because the city council at the time wanted to have a closed meeting with a developer of a proposed shopping center who was suing council at the time. Also invited to that secret meeting was a homeowner’s association that had also joined that lawsuit which Faison Inc initially filed against the city.

Ostensibly that proposed secret meeting was to work out potential settlement issues with Faison, Inc., but Fayette Superior Court Judge Christopher C. Edwards ruled in The Citizen’s favor, noting that Georgia’s open meeting statute doesn’t allow third parties to be present in closed session of governing bodies.

Edwards issued a temporary restraining order in the case and ultimately the secret meeting was cancelled before it was convened.

The city later entered a settlement agreement allowing Faison to build the 125,000 sq. ft. Target store, a size which violated the city’s big box ordinance allowing no stores larger than 32,000 sq. ft. The shopping center was also above the ordinance’s limit of 150,000 sq. ft. for the total size of the shopping center.

The city routinely advertises on its website and in e-mail notices to the media and other citizens about the various agendas of city commissions such as the planning commission, the recreation commission and the library commission. Additionally, the city’s development authority and water and sewer authority do likewise all in the spirit of open government as required by Georgia law.

login to post comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Submitted by Jones on Sat, 03/31/2007 - 2:07pm.

Who in the heck is paying for these committee meetings at local restaurants? Is the city wasting our tax dollars or are the developers trying to win favors with high priced luncheons?

Either way, this stinks!

Submitted by John M on Fri, 03/30/2007 - 7:51pm.

Mr. Mudcat is trying to con everyone. All the Comprehensive Plan Committee meetings have to be advertised and there are no council members on that one.

I completely agree with Steve Brown’s e-mail he sent to the city council. By the way, why would the city council NOT want us to see what’s going on in these committee meetings? Both of the developers wanting annexation on westside are there, so you can imagine what kind of deals they’re making without our knowledge.

Mudcat is letting his Direct PAC show.

"I'm NOT John Munford"

mudcat's picture
Submitted by mudcat on Fri, 03/30/2007 - 6:49pm.

Cal - you first. Picking a headline that the ex-mayor is upset about a secret meeting is nothing more than hype to sell newspapers. You are shamless.

Betsy - don't get trapped in the brown clown's game. You are correct that committee meetings do not need to be advertised and more to the point - they are not open to the public. Focus, girlfriend. Brown is not setting the agenda - the law on committee meetings is very specific. Tell him to buzz off and get a life.

John - report the facts, not the hype. Don't pander to this pathetic individual who has to see his name in the paper every week. Just rerport the story. And if he calls you every day - don't answer.

meow

Steve Brown's picture
Submitted by Steve Brown on Fri, 03/30/2007 - 6:36pm.

I left a voicemail for John Munford on Wednesday to see if the newspaper had received any information/notification regarding the a Impact Fee Committee meeting that was said to be held on the same day.

John did not call me back until Thursday (about ten minutes prior to his deadline). I believe this account in the newspaper bears somewhat of a resemblance to our hurried discussion over the phone, but my tone was much different and several things were omitted.

It might have been better if John held this story until next week’s newspaper in order to have the piece turnout a little more grounded.

First I was not “upset” but I was very concerned. Many, including some in City Hall, perceive that things might be drifting down the wrong track with the Impact Fee Committee. Having a committee meeting in the middle of the day at a restaurant with no public notice was not such a good idea. No damage has been done, but some things need to be addressed.

As for John’s inserted “irony” related to a PROPOSED meeting set up by the four attorneys working on the Target developer’s lawsuit against the city, I told him there were not three consenting votes for having such a meeting. Steve Rapson, Stuart Kourajian and I opposed having the meeting. I told this to John’s editor over the telephone several days before the injunction hearing, and I asked John to verify this with his editor.

Yes the Council and I were guilty of letting the attorneys run away with things at a pace we could not control because of court mandated deadlines. There were separate settlements being made with the homeowners associations that I did not even know about until long after the Target site plan had been approved.

I have pasted the text below from the e-mail I sent to the Mayor, Councilmen and City Manager. It is also available at City Hall.