Q & A about Clayton St. – PTC

Word is getting out about Clayton State University — Fayette. Everyday we receive phone calls, emails, and visits by people looking for more information. For those who may have similar questions, I thought I would answer some of the most common inquiries.

Question. What degrees are offered at Clayton State University — Fayette?

Answer. The Board of Regents for the University System of Georgia has approved five degree programs for the Fayette County location: the B.S. in Psychology and Human Services, B.S. in Integrative Studies, the B.A.S. in Administrative Management, the R.N. to B.S.N. program, and the M.B.A. degree program.

Students not enrolled in these majors may still complete their general education core curriculum in Fayette or take upper division courses that fit with their chosen major.

Q. What is the B.S. in Integrative Studies degree program?

A. The Integrative Studies program allows students to create an individualized curriculum composed of courses and experiences which meet their individual career needs.

This approach is different from many traditional, discipline-based baccalaureate programs which are designed in part to prepare students for advanced work in a specific academic discipline — a major in history or biology, for example.

This flexibility enables students to develop academic plans that meet the ever-changing requirements of the world of work, but it also requires careful planning.

Students should clarify their career or learning goals as they begin designing the components of their program.

The bachelor’s degree in Integrative Studies can also be an appropriate preparation for students planning to attend graduate school in certain disciplines and professions.

Q. What is the B.A.S. degree in Administrative Management?

A. The Bachelor of Applied Science degree (B.A.S.) offers career advancement opportunities to people who have earned an A.A.S., A.A.T., or other career associate degrees at a technical college.

Students who have earned career associate degrees at Clayton State University or at other regionally accredited institutions can bridge smoothly into the B.A.S. program with little or no loss of credit.

To complete the B.A.S. at Clayton State, students will take additional general education classes and advanced courses appropriate to their fields and career interests.

The B.A.S. can be earned in four semesters of full-time study, or students can attend part-time. Courses are offered in online, partial online, and classroom formats.

Q. Are courses completed at Clayton State University — Fayette transferable to other colleges and universities?

A. Clayton State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and is a part of the University System of Georgia; thus courses are broadly accepted at other institutions across the country.

Clayton State University’s accreditation was reaffirmed by SACS in 2004 after a routine 10-year review. Recent accreditation stories in the news have been about Clayton County Public Schools. Clayton State University is NOT affiliated with the Clayton County Public Schools.

Q. When are courses offered at CSU-Fayette?

A. Most classes are in the evening, but some morning and afternoon courses are offered each semester. Clayton State also is a leader in offering online and partially online courses.

Q. Where does CSU-Fayette offer classes?

A. All Fayette County classes are taught at 1200 Commerce Drive in Peachtree City. Classes were consolidated at this one location to make best use of the classrooms that are fully equipped with the latest in instructional technology.

Q. Can college students coming home for the summer take courses at the Fayette County location?

A. Students who are enrolled at other institutions may take classes at CSU-Fayette as transient students. The admission and course transfer processes are simplified for students who fall into this category. Details are posted on the CSU-Fayette website.

Q. Can high school students take courses at CSU-Fayette?

A. Yes, Clayton State’s Joint Enrollment Program allows qualified students to take college courses while still in high school. The courses they complete fulfill high school requirements but also count as college credit. Such programs expose students to the nature of the college classroom, while they still have the support they receive from parents and their high school.

Q. Does CSU-Fayette have a separate application and registration process?

A. No, students follow the regular Clayton State admissions process to enroll at CSU-Fayette. When selecting courses, students simply choose courses offered in Fayette County. Admission, advisement, and financial aid services are all offered onsite at the Fayette County location. Fayette students may enroll in courses offered online or on the main campus.

Q. I am interested in teaching at the Fayette County site, how can I apply?

A. Although many of our classes are taught by full-time faculty from the main campus, we are always looking for qualified individuals to teach part-time. Instructors must have at least a master’s degree in the discipline they teach. Those interested may email me at kevindemmitt@clayton.edu.

Q. Can the HOPE Scholarship or other forms of financial aid be used at CSU-Fayette?

A. Yes, students who are eligible for financial aid can generally use the support they receive to pay for expenses at the Fayette County location.

Q. How can I learn more about Clayton State University — Fayette.

A. For more information, please visit our website at http://Fayette.Clayton.edu, or call 678-466-5000.

[Dr. Kevin Demmitt is assistant vice president for academic outreach at Clayton State University — Fayette. He lives in Peachtree City.]

login to post comments | Kevin Demmitt's blog