Emergency Conservation Program sign-ups begin

Wed, 10/24/2007 - 9:08am
By: The Citizen

The Henry-Butts-Clayton-Fayette-Spalding County Farm Service Agency office request for Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) funds for damage due to drought in Henry, Butts, Clayton, Fayette, and Spalding County has been placed on a list for allocation of funds to assist producers by implementing drought emergency measures.

Even though no funds have been received, the county office is now accepting applications until October 29. Once the allocation is received, the county committee will act on the requests that have been filed prior to the end of the sign-up period.

The purpose of this practice is to provide water conservation and enhancement measures. These measures are limited to: those needed to permit livestock grazing of range, pasture or forage; supply emergency water for existing irrigation systems serving orchards or vineyards; permanent practices may be installed only if they are determined by COC to be more practicable and cost effective than temporary measures; only those farms that had adequate livestock watering systems or facilities or adequate irrigation systems for orchards and vineyards before the drought are eligible for cost-share assistance; a drought-related problem must exist, and the approved practice must be installed primarily to deal with the drought-related problem; there must be adequate range or pasture residue for livestock in the area to be served by a proposed water facility at the time of the request; livestock water facilities should contribute to better distribution of grazing; and pump equipment and adequate storage facilities must be provided when wells are installed.

The cost-share rate is 50 percent of the actual cost for permanent practices.

If you are interested in the Emergency Conservation Program, please contact this office at 770-957-7473 to schedule an appointment.

login to post comments