Whitewater girls capture school’s first team title, McIntosh boys win their first title since 2000

Tue, 05/15/2007 - 2:34pm
By: Michael Boylan

It was a perfect season.

Figuratively for the Whitewater Lady Wildcats, which won the school’s first team state title, and literally for the McIntosh Chiefs, which went undefeated on their way to the state title.
Whitewater’s game started at 7 p.m. on Friday, May 11 and wrapped up just after 11 a.m. on Saturday, May 12. The game was delayed due to lightning and the second half resumed at 10 a.m. Saturday morning.

Starr’s Mill’s Katrina Frost found her way into the 18 yard box and slipped the ball past Whitewater keeper Lisa Wilson to give the Lady Panthers a 1-0 lead. Kaitlyn Stroud made a number of big saves for Starr’s Mill early, while the offense kept a lot of pressure on the Whitewater defense.

In the second half, play went back and forth, but Whitewater broke through with 17 minutes left in the game. Jewelia Strickland lofted a ball from 18 yards out and found the back of the net. The game was still tied at the end of regulation and after the first five minute overtime period.

With three minutes remaining before the two schools would be named co-champions, Brittany Vining headed in a ball off of a corner kick, giving Whitewater the lead and eventualy the title.

Coach Heather Allen stated that she knew her team would be o.k in overtime.

“The team was fired up,” Allen said, adding that the game was very reminiscent of the match between the two schools during the regular season. “I just knew they would get the job done. They have wanted this since their freshman year.”

Starr’s Mill coach Mike Hanie talked about missed opportunites in the first half of the game and though he will return his entire team next year, added that making the finals is a hard feat.

“They worked their rears off to get here and it is disappointing to walk away with a loss,” Hanie said.

The McIntosh-Whitewater boys game didn’t have a rain delay, but it had its share of drama.
McIntosh got on the scoreborad first with a goal from Cameron Black. Allan Stein took a shot that rebounded off the post to Black, who put the ball away. Early in the second half, Black crossed the ball to Bilal Duckett, who headed the ball past Whitewater keeper Jordan Cooper. The 2-0 lead held until just past the 20 minute mark, when Whitewater’s Josh Adair put the ball in the net during a large jumble in front of the goal.

The goal gave Whitewater new life, but McIntosh keeper Jason McCloskey kept the ball out of the goal and his defenders kept the Wildcats from getting too close.

After the game, McIntosh coach Bunky Colvin praised Black for his play.
“He has had two of his best game in the last two games and has created so many opportunities for us,” Colvin said, adding that his team worked harder in the off-season and in practices than any of his team’s in the past.

“In 2005, when we lost in the final, the sophomores gathered together and vowed that they would win a state title before they graudated,” Colvin said. “Their leadership made it happen.”
Colvin also praised the play of the Whitewater team, stating, “they played like champions today, we just had one more goal.”

McIntosh finished with a record of 21-0-2, the first time in school history the team has gone undefeated.

Their two ties were against the two teams from Alabama who played for a state title last Saturday.

The Chiefs are ranked number one in AAAA and number two in the nation in a National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll. They scored 102 goals in 2007 and allowed only 11.

login to post comments