Priester returns for Flat Creek’s homecoming

Tue, 04/29/2008 - 4:27pm
By: The Citizen

The Rev. Bill Priester, retired senior pastor of Flat Creek Baptist Church, will return to give the sermon at the 10:45 a.m. service this Sunday when the church celebrates its homecoming. Preister served the church for nearly 32 years and retired in 2005.

The present pastor is the Rev. Jerry Cross.

According to The History of Fayette County, Georgia, 1821-1971, compiled and edited by Fayette’s “official” historian, Carolyn Cary, the church, one of the oldest in Fayette County, first met in 1826, just a few years after Fayette County was formed from what had once been Indian land. The first building was erected in 1827 on land on Sumner Road (Old Senoia Road) donated by Sam Ward.

In 1907, members purchased land for the present site — three acres for $10 per acre from Mr. Ben Adams. The first building was erected in 1908 and dedicated in 1910. The present building was dedicated in 1957 and has undergone many remodelings and additions.

Sunday School is at 9:30 a.m. this Sunday, followed by worship at 10:45. Church members will host a “dinner on the grounds” following the service. Those planning to attend may want to bring lawn chairs.

The church will provide meats and members will provide salads, vegetables and desserts.

Flat Creek Baptist is on Flat Creek Trail between Tyrone Road and Ga. Hwy. 54.

login to post comments