The Fayette Citizen-News Page

Wednesday, January 3, 2001

Candles cited as cause of house fire on Inman Rd.


A blaze started by votive candles severely damaged a local family's home Thursday afternoon, according to fire officials.

Three people who were home at the time were able to escape without harm, said Capt. Pete Nelms of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

Over half of the home at 348 Inman Road was destroyed by the flames, although firefighters were able to save part of the master bedroom, Nelms said.

The mother and two teenagers were home when the flames broke out, Nelms said. They evacuated along with the family dog, he added.

The cause of the fire is listed as accidental, Nelms confirmed. The Red Cross was called in to assist the family with its immediate needs, Nelms added.

The portions of the home not destroyed by the fire received heavy smoke and water damage, Nelms said.

What do you think of this story?
Click here to send a message to the editor.

Back to News Home Page | Back to the top of the page